Review: More Than This

21:19

More Than This
By Patrick Ness


Source: Library
Page count: 470
Genres: Young Adult, Dystopian, Thriller, 

Goodreads Synopsis:

A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies.

Then he wakes, naked and bruised and thirsty, but alive.

How can this be? And what is this strange deserted place?

As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?


My review:

Having never read a Patrick Ness book before, but hearing so many good things about all of his works (especially this one), I went into this book expecting greatness. Sadly I was a little disappointed - although the writing style was really addictive and I enjoyed the book, it didn’t take the direction I’d hoped.

Everything was just very average. The characters were interesting to read about, but I felt that they didn’t really develop through the book. Seth was a good protagonist, but I couldn’t really relate to him, and some of the decisions he made confused me a bit (I wouldn’t have done the same if I was in his situations).

This book had very promising potential. I found the initial concept very intriguing and the book started off really well - I instantly cared about the story so really wanted to read on. The reason I’m disappointed with the book was because of the overall direction the story took. I was expecting a philosophical reflection on life and death, not just a fight for survival. I was hoping for daring plot twists that I had never heard of before, not just the average dystopian/thriller.

I enjoyed the book and I definitely would recommend it if you’re looking for an exciting dystopian/thriller. I enjoyed the book but I was disappointed with the direction the book took.


Rating:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Nice review! I recently read this book (still need to review it) and I liked it. I was surprised on how fast I read the book because I wanted to know what happen but I was more or less confused most of the time.
    Another Patrick Ness book you might enjoy is A Monster Calls. I recently read it and really liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a really quick read. I read it in only 2 school days - I had homework too, but this book came first! It did get a little complicated because it wasn't explained too well, but the ending made sense to me, and everything seemed to be cleared up.

      I've actually already read A Monster Calls, but it was way back when it first came out, so I can't really remember much about it. I still own the book so I think I'm going to give it another try soon, because I remember enjoying it 4 years ago. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥