February Favourites

07:30

I'm always really sick of February... it's cold, and nothing good usually happens. I think I enjoyed this month loads though! I also gathered quite an impressive book haul... I can't wait to read all the books I bought!

Travelling
This month, I went to Poland with the school, and had one of the best times of my life! We went to Auschwitz-Birkenau, which was a harrowing and really emotional experience, but it was definitely worth it, because it’s so important to learn about history like that. We also did fun things, like have a traditional jewish meal, and listen to a traditional jewish live band. We had some free time in the city of Krakow too, which I really enjoyed!

Clockwise from top left: Engravings done by workers in the salt mine, where they filmed Schindler's List and real old Jewish houses, chairs representing the concentration camp in the same square, a renovated Synagogue (now turned into a museum)

Music
I think this month was a pretty good month for me, in the sense that I discovered a few new bands that I’m pretty much in love with. I’ve really been enjoying Creeper’s music, and I love SWMRS’ new album, Drive North. Also, a band I’ve rediscovered my love for, Catfish and the Bottlemen, finally released some new music. It’s only one song, but I’ll take what I can get! (song featured in the playlist below)


I met some authors!
In my home city, two of my favourite authors, Juno Dawson and Lisa Williamson, held an event, discussing LGBT+ history month. I was lucky enough to get tickets, and I had an amazing time! I think they’ve both taught me a lot about transgender issues, and I had loads of fun too. They were both really funny!

I was super pleased to find out they were doing a signing, and meet and greet too. I got Lisa to sign her book, The Art of Being Normal, and Juno to sign her first book, Hollow Pike. It was even personalised, which makes it my first signed and personalised book! I got to take a picture with them, and although I look creepy af a bit odd in all the pictures, it gives me a nice memory of the event. 

On the blog
I’ve been struggling to post very regularly because I’ve had a lot of schoolwork, but I have manage to schedule some posts for March, so I’m pleased about that! This month I reviewed Blood, Ink & Fire and All of the Above, and discussed the books that have changed me. I also wrapped up January, and did the Reader Confessions Tag!

Monthly Haul

There was February half term this month, and my Grandma came over, who bought me some books, which was so kind of her. I also won two giveaways!

Bought:
How Hard Can Love Be? by Holly Bourne
The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson
Hollow Pike by Juno Dawson
Cruel Summers by Juno Dawson
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Won:
Solitaire by Alice Oseman
Dumplin’ by Julie Murphy


Books I Read
This month I read 4 books, and continued reading/started 2. I enjoyed all of the books I’ve read, so even though I didn’t get through many, I think I still had a good reading month! The Books I read are:
The Art of Being Normal
Asking For It
I Call Myself a Feminist

And the books I’m currently reading are:
The Shining (I WILL finish this in March!!)
Rebel of the Sands


Posts on the blogosphere

How was your February? Did anything exciting happen? ☺

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. Wow looks like you had a great month! I love to travel, although school forbids me to do it that often. Auschwitz must have been a chilling experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So do I - I think this will be the only time I'm leaving the country for a long time. It really was!

      Delete
  2. Oo The Shining! I love that one so much. I hope you are enjoying it. :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's so great that you got to travel with school, I'm too old for that now, haha! It must have been so much fun! :)
    Ohh and I'm definitely excited you won Solitaire, I really liked that book, I hope you will too. Dumplin' is on my TBR, too !
    Great post! And thank you so much for featuring my travel posts, that's so sweet of you to share <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! Thank you! I can't wait to read both of them! No problem - I adore reading your travel posts so much ♥

      Delete
  4. wow poland looks so beautiful! i didn't realise they had all that jew stuff (i haven't really studied any of their history and i feel dumb admitting this), it looks pretty cool though. i can't believe you went with school! the most my school allowed was a 2 hour bus ride to auckland to see the museum for my history class! (cry, i wish i lived in europe tbh).
    i haven't read too many lgbt+ books, i didn't realise they have a history month let alone an event like that! that's really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was stunning! Yeah, before WW2 Poland had the largest worldwide population of Jews but not any more :( I'd never been away with the school before this trip either - I'd only been to castles and museums too! :D My city it very pro-LGBT+ so we have big festivals and stuff. It's amazing - I love living there!

      Delete
  5. February was a blur of stressful schoolwork and no time. Maybe that's because of procrastination, but let's choose to ignore that (I do). I'm so excited to see what you think of The Shining. And Poland is beautiful, although I can't imagine how being inside Auschwitz felt. Did you see the Halsey Colors music video? It was...something. Anyway, hope you have a better March than you did February. It is quite a dreary month. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just excited to finish it! It's not gripped me yet (I'm over 300 pages in!!), so I just want to finish it. I WILL NOT give up though!! Yes, I did, and I loved it! What did you think? Thank you - you too!

      Delete
  6. I totally get being sick of February! For me, it's always too hot, bc I live in the southern hemisphere! I feel like Feb is just a month of extremes all the time :/
    But that trip to Poland sounds like a great experience - so glad you got to go!
    It's so cool you got to learn more about LGBTQ+ issues with those two authors - sounds like such a great and educational event! :D
    Yeah, I totally get how much school can impact upon blogging - but I think you've honestly done so well with keeping up with blogging!
    Finally, thank you so much for highlighting my discussion post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, at least it's not super cold and raining all the time! I wish it was warm here! Thank you! It was! Thanks! I've tried to schedule posts ahead, so I think I did quite well. No problem :D

      Delete
  7. AHhhh, thank you so much for linking to my post! :D The other post's you linked look really interesting, so thanks for sharing! I'm definitely going to check them out :) You're making me want to visit Poland now! Sounds like you had a pretty great month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Thank you! It was such a beautiful country - I hope one day you get to visit!

      Delete
  8. What an absolutely lovely haul of books but I personally think that Asking For It is the book I've been wanting forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me too - I had been eyeing it ever since it was announced!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥