Review: Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy #3)

22:34


Shadow Kiss
By Richelle Mead

Source: Library
Page count: 443
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Vampires, Romance,

Goodreads Synopsis:

Lissa Dragomir is a Moroi princess: a mortal vampire with a rare gift for harnessing the earth's magic. She must be protected at all times from Strigoi; the fiercest vampires - the ones who never die. The powerful blend of human and vampire blood that flows through Rose Hathaway, Lissa's best friend, makes her a Dhampir. Rose is dedicated to a dangerous life of protecting Lissa from the Strigoi, who are hell-bent on making Lissa one of them.

Rose knows it is forbidden to love another guardian. Her best friend, Lissa - the last Dragomir princess - must always come first. Unfortunately, when it comes to gorgeous Dimitri Belikov, some rules are meant to be broken...

Then a strange darkness begins to grow in Rose's mind, and ghostly shadows warn of a terrible evil drawing nearer to the Academy's iron gates. The immortal undead are closing in, and they want vengeance for the lives Rose has stolen. In a heart-stopping battle to rival her worst nightmares, Rose will have to choose between life, love, and the two people who matter most... but will her choice mean that only one can survive?


My review:

I loved this book so much. From giving the previous book only 3 stars, I was really surprised to find myself liking it this much. I knew I was going to really enjoy it, but not as much as I ended up doing. The pacing was perfect, so I constantly wanted to read on. It’s definitely my favourite book of the series so far!

The romance in this book was perfectly done. It had already been slow-burning throughout the other previous books in the series, so it didn’t feel at all like insta-love. This meant that we also had time to want them to be together. It didn’t take away focus from the main plot too, so we had some of romance focused scenes, but a lot of action too.

I really liked all the action scenes. They were perfectly done so we weren’t confused, yet the choreography was done really well do we could clearly picture the scenes. Towards the end, there were lots of action scenes with I really loved. The plot was unpredictable and had lots of twists.

Rose developed so much again throughout this book. She was still very mature, yet badass throughout the whole thing. It was amazing to see how well she could fight (it made the action scenes much more exciting!) and how far she had come as a character. Her opinions towards political ideas had changed, so the overall themes of the books changed too, and they were really interesting to read about.

I really enjoyed this book. I’m really looking forward to the rest of the series now, and I just know that I won’t be able to read another book until I get Blood Promise (the next in the series)! I loved literally everything about this book, so it’s really worth reading the series, even if the first two books aren’t amazing.

Rating:

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I am so glad you didn't stop after frostbite. It gets MUCH better after. I loved the whole series! What did you think of the ending? I bet you weren't thrilled...

    Thanks or stopping by my Book Mourning Period post :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I! I really enjoyed Shadow Kiss (as you can tell!), and I'm currently reading Blood Promise which is good. I think I'm really going to love the series!

      I liked the ending in the way that it was really exciting, and Rose got to be badass, but I thought that it set the next book up pretty badly. Rose's decision was - in my opinion - too rash and not thoughtout. The person who she's going after wouldn't want her to do that, he would want her to be safe!

      You're welcome! Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely review, Denise!

    I'm going to assume you haven't read the Bloodlines series yet since you're reading VA right now, but I find a lot of Mead's book is like a bell curve where the third book is my favorite! I'm so glad you enjoyed this. I, too, thought the romance was well paced and well done in this. And you really saw the growth in Rose as a character.

    Happy reading and blogging,
    Summer at Xingsings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, Summer!
      I got the first book in the Bloodlines series from the library, so I'm super excited to read that. I've finished the series and I definitely think it peaked at book 3! Thank-you - it definitely is a really great series :)

      Thank-you for the comment too <3

      Delete
  3. Do you want to become a real life human vampire? Whatever your desire, we can fulfill it! Contact our Mystical Vampire Kingdom at vampiretransform@gmail.com for help. Be sure you want it, because there's no turning back... Our highly skilled vampires can alter your very essence, turning you into a real vampire. contact email: vampiretransform@gmail.com for help.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥