Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses

16:00

A Court of Thorns and Roses
By Sarah J. Maas

Source: Gift, e-book
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Retellings

Goodreads Synopsis:
When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.
As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever. 


When I found out that Sarah J. Maas was writing a new book, I knew I had to buy it instantly. This book has only made me even surer that I will read anything she ever writes. She’s so talented - I am always so involved in all her plots, all the characters have so much depth, and are so unique. I enjoyed A Court of Thorns and Roses immensely, and am now waiting patiently (ha!) for the next book in the series.


This book had everything I look for and enjoy in a book. There was vivid world building that wasn’t boring at all; a deadly disease; a badass heroine, and some slow burning romance. Although I would have preferred it to be darker and more gritty (like Maas said it would be), I still think that this book barely had anything to improve on.


Feyre was one of my favourite aspects. She was really strong-minded and brave, and didn’t make any stupid decisions. She definitely made the story stand out from all the other fantasy retellings, because without her I wouldn’t have enjoyed the book as much. There were no slow parts like in Throne of Glass, and I was really hooked for the whole book.


The other characters were truly wonderful too because they had such original backstories and depth. There was many elements from Beauty and the Beast so it was a loyal retelling, yet it was completely different at the same time. At points I could see the similarities, yet at others the story had so many twists and I had no idea what was happening next.


Another thing that I liked was the ending. It was a sensible place to stop - most things had been resolved in their own time, so it didn’t feel rushed. It wasn’t a massive cliff-hanger, but I was still left wanting more, so I will definitely be pre-ordering the sequel. There is massive potential for the series to go anywhere, making me wonder even more where it will go.

Overall, this was a really great book. I was expecting it to be darker, and have more high-fantasy elements, but I still really enjoyed it. I recommend this book to any fans of fantasy because it has has everything I like in a fantasy.


Me while reading this book:

My rating:


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥