Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2)

20:20

The Evolution of Mara Dyer
By Michelle Hodkin

Source: Personal purchase, paperback
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Horror, Romance

Goodreads Synopsis:

The truth about Mara Dyer's dangerous and mysterious abilities continues to unravel in the New York Times bestselling sequel to the thrilling The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.She can't. She used to think her problems were all in her head. They aren't. She couldn't imagine that after everything she's been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets. She's wrong. In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?

My review:


Oh. My. God. This book was just... it blew me away. I loved every aspect of the story - the plot was so well thought out, and the characters had so much depth. I just - GAH! This book was too awesome for words (although I am trying to put my emotions into words in this probably-incoherent review...)


Mara was a great lead. She cried a bit, though that was to be expected - if I was in her situation, I would definitely not be able to hold it together like she does. She was a bit unhealthily obsessed with Noah - but come on... who wouldn’t be? It is Noah Shaw.


Noah was amazing. He was by far and away my favourite character. He’s just so beautiful inside and out, and through this book we found out more about him, which I loved. He’s just such a good person to Mara - who definitely does get a lot to handle at times - and cares for her so much.


Michelle Hodkin gets the balance so perfectly - there are some intense parts of their relationship, but most of the time they’re just causal. This made me constantly want to read on to find more with them together (can someone tell me what their ship name is?). They’re ... just ... so ... cute ... together! *dies from shipping them too hard*


There was so much humor in this book. The subtle sarcasm was amazing - being a very sarcastic person, the characters seemed like people I would enjoy being around, and I know I would be friends with Mara. It was so dark, which I adored - this book had me laughing out loud in a silent exam: lets just say I now know how Mara feels with all those funny stares...


The ending was just... lets just say I was not expecting that! The plot twist came like a slap in the face - it left me utterly speechless. There was such a massive cliffhanger, so I was really glad I had the next book right next to me so I can find out what happens next (I may or may not have picked up the next book immediately). I pity the people who had to wait to find out what happens next.

Overall, this book was stunning. I relished every minute of it, and was hooked throughout.


My reaction to this book (and Noah Shaw):




My rating:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥