Review: These Broken Stars

20:11

These Broken Stars
By Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

Source: Book depository
Page count: Young Adult, Romance, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Adventure, 
Genres: 374

Goodreads Synopsis:


Luxury spaceliner Icarus suddenly plummets from hyperspace into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive -- alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a cynical war hero. Both journey across the eerie deserted terrain for help. Everything changes when they uncover the truth. The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.


My Review:


I'm going to start off by saying how this book was beautifully written. I was so jealous of the author's writing - they really made a sense of mood, and the description was amazing.

The book took a while to get going, but once I was past the start, I really enjoyed it. The middle was definitely the best part - the starting and ending definitely weren't as good, and bored me a little. But the middle was so good! I was racing through that, so it did disappoint me a bit when I got to the end.


Which was so confusing! Anyone else who has read this book must agree with me. It was so strange and odd! It was also not satisfying at all *sigh*. So, it really was disappointing, which is sad, been as this book is so hyped about.


Though, I did really like Tarver. He was a great character, really nice to read about, and kept on going, which is what I was looked for in him and Lilac.


Although, Lilac was a disappointment. She was always complaining and getting things wrong - she was really irritating to read about. When she did finally grow up, she just got foolish and reckless - as if all of sudden, she had a complete change of heart, and now doesn't care about her life at all. This was really annoying!


But, saying all this, I did go into this book with really high expectations. I had heard such good things about this book, which made me think it was going to be great. One of the main selling points on the back of this was the character development - this really puzzled me because the character development in this book was appalling. Tarver just developed to be a whiny character in the end, and Lilac just turned out to be stupid. This really made me wonder - why put that on the back of a book cover? I know it sold the book a bit, but the quote was from someone's review. Why would you put that in your review? To me, it's just a lie.


Though, I was that excited to read this book, that in hindsight, I don't think it could have ever lived up to my expectations. I did really enjoy the book though, and I am going to buy the rest of the series!


Rating: 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥