Review: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

19:40

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
By Becky Albertalli

Source: Borrowed from a friend
Page count: 303
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, LGBTQ+, Romance, Coming of Age,

Goodreads Synopsis:
Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.
With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.


This was such a cute book! It was really light, short, and generally just a big fluffy ball of loveliness. I enjoyed it greatly because the characters were so loveable and the writing was so addictive. I was smiling throughout the whole book as it was just so adorable! I just need to give this book a massive hug.



Simon was a really cute character. I cared about him from the first page, and he was such an interesting person so I wanted to read about him. I just need him to be real so we can be best friends. He also really reminded me of Alec Lightwood, which is always a bonus! His family were also really interesting to read about - they were so loving and supportive which is something we all love to see in YA.


The plot was a little predictable. I guessed who Blue was really quickly, which was a bit disappointing when I found out that I was right, but I wasn’t really that bothered because there were other storylines going on at the same time. I wasn’t bored in any of them because Simon was such a loveable protagonist.


Another great thing about this book was the way it captured being a teenager so well. I even felt emotional many times in the book - it was written so well! This is one of those books that everyone should read. It’s about being accepted for who you are, which I think is really important. Even if you aren’t a teenager you should read this book.


I usually find the ending to be disappointing in books like this, but in this story I really didn’t. It didn’t feel rushed, and rounded the book off really well. Everything happened like I wanted it to, and I finished this book with a massive grin on my face! It was really happy, and - for once - I wasn’t left wanting more. It was the perfect length.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book! It was super cute, and the characters were adorable. Although many of the internet references were a bit off (the Tumblr, really?), I recommend this book to everyone, but I think you’ll like it if you liked Fangirl, Solitaire, or The Perks of Being a Wallflower.


Me after finishing this book:

My rating:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥