Review: Enclave

19:25

Enclave
By Ann Aguirre

Source: Personal purchase, paperback,
Genres: Young Adult, Dystopian, Science Fiction, Post Apocalyptic, 

Goodreads Synopsis:

New York City has been decimated by war and plague, and most of civilization has migrated to underground enclaves, where life expectancy is no more than the early 20's. When Deuce turns 15, she takes on her role as a Huntress, and is paired with Fade, a teenage Hunter who lived Topside as a young boy. When she and Fade discover that the neighboring enclave has been decimated by the tunnel monsters--or Freaks--who seem to be growing more organized, the elders refuse to listen to warnings. And when Deuce and Fade are exiled from the enclave, the girl born in darkness must survive in daylight--guided by Fade's long-ago memories--in the ruins of a city whose population has dwindled to a few dangerous gangs.

Ann Aguirre's thrilling young adult novel is the story of two young people in an apocalyptic world--facing dangers, and feelings, unlike any they've ever known.



My review:

This book was everything I've been looking for. It's been so long since I've read a dystopian as good as this. Enclave had literally every aspect I like in books: action and fight scenes, really gory descriptions, disease (my one true love), slow-burning romance, a well-thoughtout world, originality, and light-hearted moments too. I really didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did - although I knew I was going to like it, I never knew how great it was. 

It had a great beginning. It jumped straight in on the action (not some annoying build up like in some other books). The world building was really clever - I found out about the world pretty quickly, though it didn't bore me at all. The writing was really clever, and it kept this standard throughout the whole book.

The messages this book sent pleased me. For once, a book says sexism is not okay (!!!), not naming any names *cough* The Selection *cough*. Also, it teaches to never give up, which I think is really important in a book. Another thing I thought was a great aspect was that small children were called brats. This made me smile - I am not the biggest fan of little kids (they just smell and are dirty and ew), and calling them brats just seemed perfect. 

Deuce, the protagonist, was amazing. She was so strong, yet flawed so she was more real. At times, she was a little bit stupid, but that's just to be expected - nobodies perfect! She was really tough, and protected everyone, which I loved. She really showed the men up!

All the other characters were good too - they had depth, so seemed really real. I especially liked Fade (him and Deuce just need to be together!) because he was really tough, yet had another side which was interesting to find more about as the story progressed.

I would recommend this book to dystopian fans - it has all aspects of a great dystopian, yet is still really original too. I am definitely going to pick up the rest of the series soon! My reaction to this book:



My rating: 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥