Review: Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy #5)

10:00

Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy #5)
By Richelle Mead

Source: Library, paperback
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Vampires, Romance

Goodreads Synopsis:
Dimitri gave Rose the ultimate choice. But she chose wrong...
After a long and heartbreaking journey to Dimitri's birthplace in Siberia, Rose Hathaway has finally returned to St. Vladimir's-and to her best friend, Lissa. It is nearly graduation, and the girls can't wait for their real lives beyond the Academy's iron gates to begin. But Rose's heart still aches for Dimitri, and she knows he's out there, somewhere.
She failed to kill him when she had the chance. And now her worst fears are about to come true. Dimitri has tasted her blood, and now he is hunting her. And this time he won't rest until Rose joins him... forever.


Going into this book, I didn’t have very high expectations. I adored Shadow Kiss (my review here), but Blood Promise (my review here) fell really short. I just expected the series to just decline now, but thankfully, this book was a lot better than Blood Promise! Even though it didn’t really progress from Blood Promise, and nothing really happened, I ended up enjoying the way it went.


I liked the way this book was more focused in court, and in the guardian duties - I enjoyed the new direction the series seemed to be taking. I was disappointed with how overlooked Blood Promise had become though: all of the new characters seemed to be have forgotten, and it didn’t seem like they were going to add anything more to the story. At some points, Blood Promise was slow and I really didn’t see the point in it - I felt cheated on that it was all for nothing!


In my opinion, Rose’s character got so much worse. In the previous books, I loved her so much, but in this one, she just made so many stupid decisions. It was fun to read about her gutsy decisions in court, but after a while they became irritating and tiresome. I really didn’t like the way she couldn’t decide between Adrian or Dimitri too - her constant switching quickly became old and boring.

Thankfully, the second half of the book was so much better. Lots more was happening, so it became a lot more interesting. The book ended on a massive cliff-hanger, so I was really eager to move straight on to the next one! (luckily I had it to hand, so didn’t have to wait). The series picked up, so I was hoping it will be rounded off well, and will redeem itself from previous books!



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I totally agree with you about Rose's character! Honestly, I binge-read this series in a weekend and I feel like my enjoyment of the books were like a bell-curve. I really enjoyed the middle books, and not so much the ones on the end. Either way, I can't wait for you to finish this series! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely! Shadow Kiss was definitely the best in the series, and the only one I gave 5 stars. I have actually already finished the series, and I'm uploading my review for Last Sacrifice soon. Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥